The Seaholm Residences represent the finest in Austin living. Located at the heart of the Austin Downtown area in the newly erected Seaholm District, these stunning condos feature impressive views of the downtown areas with thoroughly modern amenities throughout.
For many Austinites, it might seem like the Seaholm Reseidences were just there one day, but the construction process was actually nearly a decade in the making. Check out our timeline below to see the overall progression of the Seaholm Condos Construction project.
- Early 2007 – Southwest Strategies and the City of Austin announce a plan to redevelop the decommissioned Seaholm Power Plant. The proposed plan would kick off construction with the first phase to be completed in 2008, with the tower opening slated for 2010, and would cost an approximate $117.2 million.
- November 2008 – The Seaholm Residences achieves approval from the City of Austin for the Tax Incentive financing to generate revenue for infrastructure enhancements and other site preparation required to move forward. Plans are updated for construction to begin in early 2009.
- May 2010 – The developers run into issues with negotiations with Union Pacific, who owns portions of the lot for Seaholm Residences and cause delays in the start date, along with other obstacles concerning a proposed parking garage on the property and a loss of financing due to the mortgage crisis. The project will continue once these obstacles are overcome and the development start date is moved to 2011.
- October 2010 – Redevelopment for Seaholm is set for a council vote on October 14, 2010. After various days the $220 million dollar project hopes to begin construction in 2013.
- October 2011 – After nearly five years of ups and downs, it looks as though the Seaholm Residences project is set to move forward. While there is still uncertainty in the real estate market, the multi-use aspect of this property is highly appealing to investors.
- June 2012 – Public outcry ensues after the developers change their plan to make the decommissioned plant a public space into commercial office space closed to the public. With approval from city council, a new deal has been inked with the City of Austin, one that has been finalized and can’t be changed for 20 years, creating a low rise building on the Seaholm property that will host office and retail spaces along with a 28-story towers that will serves as residences hosting 294 apartments.
- September 2013 – Development at the Seaholm site has switched from apartment to condos creating the first high-rise condos constructed in Downtown Austin in quite some time. Reservations for these condo homes are set to begin in Mid-October 2013 with delivery in 18-24 months.
- October 2015 – Seaholm construction is well underway for residential and retail spaces with the condo towers expected for completion in February of 2016 for lower level units with upper floor deliveries expected in April and May.
- September 2016 – Seaholm Power LLC sells retail and office spaces of Seaholm development to CIM Group. The fully sold residential area of the Seaholm property remains part of Seaholm Power LLC and is led by Southwest Strategies Group.
Today, the Seaholm Residences represent the finest in Downtown Austin living creating an iconic focal point in the Downtown skyline. Contact Audra today to learn more about this beautiful community.